“Debra Huse takes a loving look at the quintessential California lifestyle: the beaches, boats, gardens, and people, all partaking of the "good life" in the Golden State. An astute observer of everyday life, Debra presents her subjects immersed in the unique light and warmth of coastal Southern California. A true "plein air" painter, her paintings are direct and honest views of what is all around her.” -Mr. Jean Stern, Art Historian, Author and Lecturer
Born & Raised: Indianapolis, IN
Studio; A Marina in Newport Beach, CA
Gallery: Debra Huse Gallery, 229 Marine Ave.
Balboa Island, CA 92662 www.debrahusegallery.com
Favorite Book; Two Years Before the Mast
Family: Husband Randy Ressel
Transportation: 43’ Santa Barbara Sportfishing Boat.
I’ve been blessed with the talent of seeing and the passion for painting. Oil is such a luscious medium. Applying lots of paint - moving it around and carving out areas is fascinating. As a contemporary plein air colorist, I strive to capture the beauty of the moment, the poetry of the atmosphere, and the notes of colorful light with the spontaneity and energy of a painter intrigued. Not painting is not an option.
Affiliations and Memberships
- American Society of Marine Artists, Signature Member
- American Impressionist Society, Signature Member
- California Art Club
- Hoosier Salon
- Laguna Plein Air Painters, Signature Member
- Oil Painters of America
- Pastel Society of America, Signature Member
- Realism Without Borders International
- Southern California Plein Air Painters
Scholarships and Bachelor Degree
- 1971 John Herron Art School
- 1979 Indiana University, School of Fine Art